Oil change based on prod date?

silver28

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW 435i
So I got my Supra late Sept 2023, and I've put on 750 miles so far, well under the break-in period of 1200 miles. I didn't have much opportunity to drive it in the colder snowy months. I just got the oil maintenance light, and pretty sure it's because my production date stamped on the door is May 2023. Going to assume my oil is a year old then.

What do you guys think?

1) Get ithe oil changed now as it's a year old
2) Change it when you hit 1200 miles or Sept 2024, whichever comes first

Thanks for the opinions. Leaning towards option 1 for sure.
Sponsored

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
For warranty adherence, I'd get it changed when the car tells you, even if it makes no sense. My 2008 MX5 accumulates 1100 miles in a year, but since it is not under warranty, I change its synthetic oil every year and a half. It still looks perfectly fresh when I do.

My supra will probably have 4000 miles or so when the oil change display lights up, so that's when I'll bring it in. After two oil changes, I'll do it, myself.

STV3

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
OH OH a new oil thread!! YESSSSS!!:spaz:

In all seriousness, just do which either option makes you feel best. The car will be absolutely fine either way.

Last edited:

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
For warranty adherence, I'd get it changed when the car tells you, even if it makes no sense.

My supra will probably have 4000 miles or so when the oil change display lights up, so that's when I'll bring it in. After two oil changes, I'll do it, myself.
Or actually read the maintenance schedule in the warranty book. Calls for engine oil and filter change every 10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. Not that I recommend waiting that long, but you brought up the whole warranty adherence thing.

You have no idea if some moron at the dealer reset the oil change interval in the car. (which you can do if you actually read the manual)

I wish people would stop talking out their asses.

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
People, we have a Dr. House impersonator in the house!

OP
OP

silver28

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW 435i
Iā€™ve solved my dilemma in the best way. My appointment is on May 28, they are doing an oil change and full check up which takes 3 hours somehow.
I did a few cruises and now at 1100 miles. Doing another one tomorrow so Iā€™ll be good!
Sponsored