Other options for race tracks that are too loud?

i3igpete

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3.0L 8AT
I mean, when people move near an airport do they complain?
LAX is a very well known example of where pilots have to throttle down immediately after taking off. idiots and noise complaints are more powerful than safety.
Sponsored

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
LAX is a very well known example of where pilots have to throttle down immediately after taking off. idiots and noise complaints are more powerful than safety.
I grew up next to an Air Force base and it was constantly noisy. I remember my parents always whining about it and I would always be like ā€œbut you bought a house next to an Air Force base?ā€ Lol

Bug2th

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF, 1998 GSX
Theyā€™ve rerouted air traffic (at RSW) numerous times for the multiple golf course communities we have here in Lee County FL. Iā€˜ve lived in one of those communities. We werenā€™t one of the ones complaining. Wife and I actually work for a living. But I do get it. If an airplane can fly over non developed areas instead. Which in most part they now do. Unless severe weather or wind conditions.

Luckily some tracks down here are actually going the other way with their residents in other counties around the Nation. Some FL examples:

https://circuitflorida.com/condos

https://www.sebringracehomes.com/about

With Laguna Seca being so iconic, I truly hope they can convince residents there will only be rare occasions where events run at night on track.

In the future, they should look to Homestead/Miami speedway. Proper zoning around the facility and you wonā€™t have this problem. You canā€™t build residential communities w/in X amount of miles.
I guess that is what I was getting at. Most airports ā€œwereā€ originally in undeveloped areas but for whatever reason some developers convinced the city/county it would be a good idea to develop close to an airport (look at all that unused land we can make money with) and let the future residents deal with the airport noise - and there ya goā€¦

RaceReX

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium, 2009 SRF
As others have mentioned, this has been going on for years (decades).

what has happened, is that over the decades some very high end developments have come in and built houses along Highway 68. Either they were in fact DAF, or didnā€™t care, at the time.

now, every year or two a local group starts this drumbeat again.

one for the best parts is that many of those homes are also under the approach for Monterey Airports main runway, so,itā€™s a twofer.

and yep, the airports been there for decades as well.

the problem gets exacerbated due to the frequent fog and/or low overcast which attenuates the sound and reflects it back downward.

the worst thing is that the County owns the track, so if enough (Uber wealthy) people complain, it could eventually get shut down.

letā€™s hope not. Itā€™s one of my three tracks in the Bay Area.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
They better keep it open as I have a track day scheduled there in Aug!

Really wish they made more tracks like Spring Mountain where they actually build houses around the track so that you can watch races from your backyard.
I have a house across the highway from Spring Mountain... need a telescope to get a good view from the back yard - but I can hear it just fine. Never occurred to me to be upset about the noise from a track that was right there when I purchased the house.

Of course, my other house (in the city) has no race tracks within 40 miles of it... and it's loud AF almost all the time. Maybe I should look for an attorney interested in suing people that have children and dogs... because they're much worse noise-makers. šŸ˜ˆ

I did make some insulated panels with MLV backing to put in my bedroom windows when my sleep schedule coincides with race events... works like a charm. I wonder how many people involved in the Laguna Seca lawsuit spent as much time soundproofing their homes as they did shopping attorneys? None would be my guess. šŸ˜’

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
I have a house across the highway from Spring Mountain... need a telescope to get a good view from the back yard - but I can hear it just fine. Never occurred to me to be upset about the noise from a track that was right there when I purchased the house.

Of course, my other house (in the city) has no race tracks within 40 miles of it... and it's loud AF almost all the time. Maybe I should look for an attorney interested in suing people that have children and dogs... because they're much worse noise-makers. šŸ˜ˆ

I did make some insulated panels with MLV backing to put in my bedroom windows when my sleep schedule coincides with race events... works like a charm. I wonder how many people involved in the Laguna Seca lawsuit spent as much time soundproofing their homes as they did shopping attorneys? None would be my guess. šŸ˜’
Rent me that house next time I have a track weekend there!

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Rent me that house next time I have a track weekend there!
Provided I'm not working on it that weekend I think that could be arranged. I basically bought it as a hobby to fulfill my need to do "actual work" on something (but not live in a perpetual construction zone). Writing software isn't nearly as fulfilling as woodworking, interior design, etc. (IMO at least) - but it pays for tools and places to use them when I get free time. ;)

OP
OP
FLtrackdays

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Provided I'm not working on it that weekend I think that could be arranged. I basically bought it as a hobby to fulfill my need to do "actual work" on something (but not live in a perpetual construction zone). Writing software isn't nearly as fulfilling as woodworking, interior design, etc. (IMO at least) - but it pays for tools and places to use them when I get free time. ;)
Question is, when can you go to the preliminary hearing and speak some reason ;)

JK, thatā€™s great that youā€™ve got a place there. Would love to rent from you when I finally get to drive that iconic track šŸŖ£ šŸ“

jorligan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ferrari 458, McLaren 650S, Porsche GT3, Alfa 4C, Ford Raptor, Porsche Macan, 21 Supra Turbo
Unfortunately, problem everywhere. They build far from anything and then urban sprawl as well as convenience to locations draws development. Perfect example is Denver International Airport as well as High Plains Raceway in Colorado. I remember when the airport was built that there was complaints about distant location and now there are multiple subdivisions close. Ultimately, will need to build tracks to local noisemakers, tracks near airports or major highways. New track in Michigan is located adjacent to I96 so the road noise from the highway is louder than the track.
Sponsored