2.0 Supra LSD or Not?

Kevin

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 2.0
After snapping my driver-side axle during a launch (times coming soon lol), I've decided to swap a 3.0 diff and axles since they are beefier.

I know whether or not the 2.0 Supra has an LSD is unknown/debated even though Toyota dealerships and reviewers say it has a mechanical LSD. I've always been on the side that it has an OPEN diff since the part number is identical to the same open diffs in the BMW Z4, 330i, etc, and couldn't find of any BMW 190mm mechanical LSD at all which led me to believe it doesn't exist. I thought I would settle this debate and open up my stock diff to take a look.

IMG_2241.jpg
IMG_2234.jpg

Verdict: Open diff

Through my searches, it seems like maybe some 2.0 Supras did get an LSD (outside of the U.S.) but it isn't mechanical, it's the same electronic LSD in the 3.0s.

A bit of info for anyone interested in a 3.0 rear-end swap:

The 3.0 diff and axles bolt up directly to the subframe and hubs. You CANNOT use 2.0 axles on a 3.0 diff, the splines are different sizes. Apart from the LSD you also have a much stronger driveline. The 3.0 diff is 215mm ring gear cast iron case vs the 2.0 190mm ring gear aluminum case and the 3.0 axles are 41mm diameter thick shafts vs 2.0 34mm axle shafts. The CV joints are clearly beefier as well which is where mine had broken.

I already had a custom one-piece driveshaft on the car because of numerous experiences in the past with BMW driveshafts that break like spaghetti and didn't play around with the Supra since I was regularly dig racing. My driveshaft has some adjustability in length so it bolted up to the diff just fine. I am not sure if the stock 2.0 driveshaft would work on the 3.0 diff. The 3.0 uses a 3-bolt flange on the diff vs the 2.0 reverse CV joint that screws onto the diff with a nut. You could take off the 3-bolt flange from the 3.0 diff and "maybe" the stock 2.0 driveshaft is just the right length (there is some adjustability).

Then there is also the question of how to control the electronic LSD. There is the possibility to try to purchase the GHAUS and wiring harness required to control the diff from BMW and then coding it in for OEM integration which I believe is possible but I think an aftermarket controller would be easier and work fine for my application.
Sponsored

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
Like people need another reason to not buy a 4 Cylinder Supra....

Crypto79

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 MT, 1997 sc300 5 Speed
I was going to challenge you (despite you appearing to know what youā€™re talking about) as every review stated it had a torsen. But seeing that none of the BMW equivalents have that I would be shocked if Toyota added a custom one for the US but retrofitted the M-diff in other markets. I went on the website and they donā€™t claim an LSD for the 2.0
IMG_1756.png

Last edited:

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I was going to challenge you (despite you appearing to know why youā€™re talking about) as every review stated it had a torsen. But seeing that none of the BMW equivalents have that I would be shocked if Toyota added a custom one for the US but retrofitted the M-diff in other markets. I went on the website and they donā€™t claim an LSD for the 2.0
I mean you can clearly see it's an open diff in the photo.

I believe the Euro 2.0L's have a "sport package" that could add the lsd.

Just looked at the German site...

Apparently you can get a 2.0L with the 3.0L active rear diff, active suspension and brembo brakes. Learn something new every day!

Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 5.55.26ā€ÆPM.png

Crypto79

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 MT, 1997 sc300 5 Speed
I mean you can clearly see it's an open diff in the photo.

I believe the Euro 2.0L's have a "sport package" that could add the lsd.

Just looked at the German site...

Apparently you can get a 2.0L with the 3.0L active rear diff, active suspension and brembo brakes. Learn something new every day!

Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 5.55.26ā€ÆPM.png
Hence the ā€œwas going toā€ . great research

OP
OP
Kevin

Kevin

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 2.0
yeah, I do not know how you are going to control the elec diff?

What about just an aftermarket good diff?
An aftermarket controller, Iā€™m planning on using HTGā€™s standalone.

Considering you can find used 3.0 diffs for $1k or less itā€™s cheaper than modifying a stock diff to have an LSD when you consider downtime/core charge etc. I got my diff and axles from a local part out car for $1000 picked up.

I guess it depends on application too, for any type of road racing the 2.0 driveline is superior since itā€™s lighter. The aluminum diff alone weighs a good 30lbs less than the cast iron and the axles are less rotational weight etc, so it might be worth it to have it modified. If you are consistently hard launching the car however thatā€™s a different story.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.

Considering you can find used 3.0 diffs for $1k or less itā€™s cheaper than modifying a stock diff to have an LSD when you consider downtime/core charge etc. I got my diff and axles from a local part out car for $1000 picked up.

I guess it depends on application too, for any type of road racing the 2.0 driveline is superior since itā€™s lighter. The aluminum diff alone weighs a good 30lbs less than the cast iron and the axles are less rotational weight etc, so it might be worth it to have it modified. If you are consistently hard launching the car however thatā€™s a different story.
Since the German 2.0L has the option for the 3.0L active diff I would cross reference what it has compared to the base 2.0L

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450

respectfully, I would not say "2.0 driveline is superior" if it is breaking on you with lite track duty and you are upgrading most of it LOL
It is an interesting idea- the "aftermarket controller" But as a 30 year BMW ecu, cpu, sensor experience- good luck. May not play nicely together....

OP
OP
Kevin

Kevin

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 2.0
respectfully, I would not say "2.0 driveline is superior" if it is breaking on you with lite track duty and you are upgrading most of it LOL
It is an interesting idea- the "aftermarket controller" But as a 30 year BMW ecu, cpu, sensor experience- good luck. May not play nicely together....
Except I didnā€™t break it on ā€œlite track duty.ā€

It was on the street with a 3500rpm stall on 275/60r15 MT Radial Pros after turning it up to cut faster than a 1.60 60ā€™

I didnā€™t mean to make this a 2.0 vs 3.0 thing but a lighter driveline is superior if it doesnā€™t break. Thereā€™s a huge difference between loading up the driveline from a standstill especially the way I did vs road racing track duty. My point was a person with a 2.0 might be better off modifying their stock diff vs upgrading to a 3.0 diff because theyā€™ll ultimately be slower and throw the carā€™s balance off.

Noctb48MD

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Nocturnal B48, 2019 Blazer 2lt
Soooo upsettting, thanks for being the first to get into it. What are the track times?

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
If I was doing a 3.0 diff swap on the 2.0..I'd source a used MT 3.46 diff. That would be a really interesting dynamic..

kyle9

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra - Gridlife StreetMod #29, '23 B48 Supra
Probably easier to just do a Ford 8.8 swap from SLG. It comes with gforce axels and an upgraded aluminum driveshaft. Whole thing is plug and play and you can push 1000hp through it if you want to. It's maybe overkill, but it's what I'll be running on my 2.0 next year.

It will be a lot more predictable than the ediff and not require any electronics.
Sponsored