A not-crazy-loud catback exhaust that keeps the OEM valve?

swrdply400mrelay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Veloster N, 2024 Stratosphere MT
I do have videos of before/after with the stock exhaust, aFe with resonator, and aFe unresonated, however I never got an opportunity to do any videos with the aFe unresonated for comparison. And now there's an iceberg on my driveway.
Do u have links?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Spart

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91-MT
Do u have links?
I will edit it all together sometime soon once I get the additional clips taken.

I used a real-ish camera instead of my phone to take the clips because it has a fixed audio gain. This is super important when recording the difference between different exhaust configurations because automatic gain on phone cameras (and what is default on 99% of other cameras) makes them all sound about the same volume.

Video comparisons of exhaust on the internet are almost all trash except for Borla's, which clearly use a fixed gain. There may be some others but they're the exception not the rule.

swrdply400mrelay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
We also do Apexi which retains valves and Ark Performance.

-Josh

I can't tell from videos but based on the pipe routing + mufflers, these two exhaust seem similar to the HKS Hi power. I listened to my friend's normal mode HKS Hi Power and it seemed much louder than stock.

Which systems do you sell seem to be the quietest in normal mode? Thanks!

Meraki Autoworks

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.merakiautoworks.com
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
I can't tell from videos but based on the pipe routing + mufflers, these two exhaust seem similar to the HKS Hi power. I listened to my friend's normal mode HKS Hi Power and it seemed much louder than stock.

The most quiet in normal mode, probably Akrapovic. Apexi is not over the top either.

-Josh

OP
OP
Spart

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91-MT

I'm sure it makes a big difference if you have a catless DP (I do not, left it OEM) but the aFe Takeda seemed from the cabin to be just as quiet as stock with the valve closed, and even after replacing their center resonator with the delete they sell, there's still no drone or anything.

The HKS has a Y before the axle, then both sides go through a muffler and then out the exhaust tip. One side has a valve and the other doesn't. I'm guessing both mufflers are really similar and any difference in sound comes from the one side becoming a big hemholtz resonator when the valve is closed. I don't know this for sure, just my intuition based on how it sounds. It does not seem designed to make a big difference between loud and quiet mode. Not my pic, but here's the HKS routing:

1706817555131.png

See how both the valved and unvalved side are basically the same?

The aFe has a (optionally deletable) resonator before the axle, then a Y after the axle. The right side of the Y goes to the valve, then straight out the tip with no muffler. The left side of the Y goes through a relatively large (smaller than stock but larger than most aftermarket) muffler and then out the left exhaust tip. It does seem designed to make a big difference between loud and quiet mode. Not my pic, but here's the aFe routing:

1706817498264.png

See how the valved and unvalved side are totally different?

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
The aFe has a (optionally deletable) resonator before the axle, then a Y after the axle. The right side of the Y goes to the valve, then straight out the tip with no muffler. The left side of the Y goes through a relatively large (smaller than stock but larger than most aftermarket) muffler and then out the left exhaust tip. It does seem designed to make a big difference between loud and quiet mode. Not my pic, but here's the aFe routing:

1706817498264.png

Too bad the AFE is the same size as stock and goes down to 2.5" after the split.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
By far the quietest valved exhaust in normal is FI, quieter than Akra and HKS, it was impressive how silent, if not quieter than stock with valves closed that the FI with the active catted downpipe was, granted that did mean with the valves open, while it sounded great, was a bit on the tamer side than others, definitely about 20% quieter than my active autowerke catback is now, but the active has a better tone.

swrdply400mrelay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Yes, I'm aware of how they are different. My only problem with the AFE is that the valved side narrows down to 2.5"

swrdply400mrelay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Too bad the AFE is the same size as stock and goes down to 2.5" after the split.
I really wish it would continue to 3" afterwards

Which is why I'm leaning towards the Dinan, which is 3.25" and continues to 3.25" on the valved side. The non-valve side goes down to 2.5" and into a muffler. However, I really do not like the tips...

The MAP exhaust is also another I'm considering. Essentially the same as the Dinan, except it's 3.5" including the non-valve side. Just not sure this will be quiet enough in normal.

swrdply400mrelay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
By far the quietest valved exhaust in normal is FI, quieter than Akra and HKS, it was impressive how silent, if not quieter than stock with valves closed that the FI with the active catted downpipe was, granted that did mean with the valves open, while it sounded great, was a bit on the tamer side than others, definitely about 20% quieter than my active autowerke catback is now, but the active has a better tone.

I guess a better question would be what's a exhaust ~2k or less that is closest to stock normal mode. Don't think I can bring myself to spend more.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
I guess a better question would be what's a exhaust ~2k or less that is closest to stock normal mode. Don't think I can bring myself to spend more.
Active Autowerke.

Bigboss

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 civic FK7 sport, supra 3.0 premium
I couldn’t believe you said you were getting rid of your fi exhuast a couple months ago. Its my #1 exhuast choice rn, so you’re saying it wasnt loud enough in sport mode? Also do you know how much it weighs?