Best exhaust, figment, performance, price

STi_to_GRzupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra MT Premium, 2021 4Runner TRD Pro
No.

You either get +20-50WHP (depending on installed turbo) by having 4" all the way through, or you keep the valve.
Full 4” exhaust will add 20-50whp?!!!

I read the exhaust on our cars wont add that much power if any.

Im confused now.
Sponsored

Scoopra

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 premium
SHS Autosport is not a real 4" exhaust. It hooks up to the OEM downpipe, which has a 3.15" exit. That means the total flow of the exhaust is limited to what can be moved through a 3.15" diameter. That makes it, in reality, a 3.15" exhaust.

The 4.0" number is pure marketing.
No, mines 4" from the turbo back. V band connections the whole way.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
Full 4” exhaust will add 20-50whp?!!!

I read the exhaust on our cars wont add that much power if any.

Im confused now.
A full 4" exhaust, with a 4" downpipe (AT BOTH ENDS), and an exhaust that's truly 4" (or transitioning to dual 3") the whole way adds 15-20 WHP on the stock turbo and upwards of 40-50 WHP on an upgraded turbo.

People say exhaust don't add power on the Supra because pretty much everyone pisses away their money on exhausts that fit the OEM 3.15" downpipe. If you do that, your exhaust just looks pretty and sounds pretty. You haven't actually removed the one real bottleneck on the exhaust system. It's all show and no go. I don't necessarily disagree with that choice and I've made it on some of my cars, but it seems ludicrous to sleep on 20, 30, 50 WHP and instead throw upwards of $2K on an exhaust that does nothing.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
No, mines 4" from the turbo back. V band connections the whole way.
It's not listed on their website. Good to know. Pretty poor salesmanship on their part, though, to be one of the few truly performant Supra exhausts and not say anything about it. But I'm just some dude, I suppose.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23’ 3.0 Base
AWE touring isn’t the best price, performance or fit but god damn it sounds good. I wouldn’t buy anything else for this motor.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
AWE touring isn’t the best price, performance or fit but god damn it sounds good. I wouldn’t buy anything else for this motor.
Loved my AWE touring, with the stock dp it may have had the best overall tone of any setup I’ve run

AJRMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Manual Supra
A full 4" exhaust, with a 4" downpipe (AT BOTH ENDS), and an exhaust that's truly 4" (or transitioning to dual 3") the whole way adds 15-20 WHP on the stock turbo and upwards of 40-50 WHP on an upgraded turbo.

People say exhaust don't add power on the Supra because pretty much everyone pisses away their money on exhausts that fit the OEM 3.15" downpipe. If you do that, your exhaust just looks pretty and sounds pretty. You haven't actually removed the one real bottleneck on the exhaust system. It's all show and no go. I don't necessarily disagree with that choice and I've made it on some of my cars, but it seems ludicrous to sleep on 20, 30, 50 WHP and instead throw upwards of $2K on an exhaust that does nothing.

Can you point me in the direction of the dyno charts on an MKV supra that demonstrate this?

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
On a Pure 800: +33 WHP, +27 WTQ with no changes to the map -- only change was 3.15" exit DP and 3.5" exhaust to 4" exit DP and 4" exhaust. I don't have the dyno sheet, but I have personal knowledge that this customer was then able to revise their map for more boost and ended up around +44 WHP/+35 WTQ versus their previous best. The turbo was just suffocating with the stock 3.15" downpipe exit.

1692717170979.png

On stock turbo:
Red is stock car (317 WHP)
Blue is stock car + tune (408 WHP)
Green is a stock catback + typical catless 3.15" exit downpipe (429)
Orange is same DP from green + more aggressive tune (428)
Black is 4" downpipe + 4" exhaust + same tune as orange (438)

Customer picks up a nice gain just by removing the restriction of the cat (+21 WHP). Customer makes the tune more aggressive and gains nothing from it. Customer adds full 4" exhaust and gains another +10 WHP on the same tune.

1692717292499.png

But these kind of gains are not new knowledge. People have been proving massive gains from larger exhausts for a long time, because turbos love large diameter exhausts. It's one of their core principles. The less restriction you put behind the turbo, the faster they can spool, the more air they push, and the more power they make. For example, here's another Supra doing similar in 2011:

On 3" DP + 3" exhaust it made 527 WHP at 19 PSI
On 3" DP + 3.5" exhaust it made 567 WHP at 19 PSI
On 3.5" DP + 3.5" exhaust it made 610 WHP at 19 PSI and spooled 200 RPM faster

This is very analogous to our MkV Supra with an upgraded turbo: Inline 6 powerplant, same engine displacement, similar boost levels. Same debates about exhaust sizing. Turbo cars keep proving that all things being equal, a bigger exhaust is simply better. Every time.

If you get an exhaust that keeps the 3.15" downpipe exit, you're throwing performance away.

AJRMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Manual Supra
On a Pure 800: +33 WHP, +27 WTQ with no changes to the map -- only change was 3.15" exit DP and 3.5" exhaust to 4" exit DP and 4" exhaust. I don't have the dyno sheet, but I have personal knowledge that this customer was then able to revise their map for more boost and ended up around +44 WHP/+35 WTQ versus their previous best. The turbo was just suffocating with the stock 3.15" downpipe exit.

1692717170979.png

On stock turbo:

Customer picks up a nice gain just by removing the restriction of the cat (+21 WHP). Customer makes the tune more aggressive and gains nothing from it. Customer adds full 4" exhaust and gains another +10 WHP on the same tune.

1692717292499.png

But these kind of gains are not new knowledge. People have been proving massive gains from larger exhausts for a long time, because turbos love large diameter exhausts. It's one of their core principles. The less restriction you put behind the turbo, the faster they can spool, the more air they push, and the more power they make. For example, here's another Supra doing similar in 2011:

This is very analogous to our MkV Supra with an upgraded turbo: Inline 6 powerplant, same engine displacement, similar boost levels. Same debates about exhaust sizing. Turbo cars keep proving that all things being equal, a bigger exhaust is simply better. Every time.

If you get an exhaust that keeps the 3.15" downpipe exit, you're throwing performance away.

Thanks for this post. I'm wondering if I should just modify my mid pip with a 4 inch DP connection to dual 3.5 and leave my axleback as dual 3" exit.

At the moment it's 4.5" to 5" to 4" to 3.15" to 4" to dual 3.5" to 3" axle back.

If I change mid pip connection it'll be 4.5" to 5" to 4" to dual 3.5" to 3".

It seems to me that the most important part is the downpipe connection, how restrictive can a 3" axleback be?

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dual 3" is roughly equal to 4.2" single. It's more than enough. For example, if you had a single 4" pipe and then connected a Y to that with a split to two individual 3" pipes, the flow would match all the way through.

D K

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 TG

1692717170979.png

On stock turbo:

1692717292499.png

And throwing away your hard-earned money...
Sponsored