METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium (Tungsten Silver)
The dynamite that you linked is that only enough to cover the floor?

I wanted to see behind the side panels to see if I should apply any there.
Sponsored

OP
OP
tadda

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
The dynamite that you linked is that only enough to cover the floor?

I wanted to see behind the side panels to see if I should apply any there.
Actually there is fairly thick padding applied behind those lower side panels as you can see off to the lower right in the pic below....

Supra HK Amp and ASD lettered.jpg

METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
Ok good to know I shall save my time and apply to trunk floor.

OP
OP
tadda

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Now behind the rear panel could definitely use some dynamat...note the pic says foam insulation but I changed that out and applied dynamat strips to the areas highlighted below

Rear Cargo Panel Insulation.jpg

METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
So apply dynamat ILO foam directly on the metal sheeting not on the plastic. I also ordered the NOICO.

OP
OP
tadda

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So apply dynamat ILO foam directly on the metal sheeting not on the plastic. I also ordered the NOICO.
I applied the dynamat directly to the back of that panel...

METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
I applied the dynamat directly to the back of that panel...
Does it still work effectively. I always assumed it needs to be applied directly on the vehicles metal sheeting.

OP
OP
tadda

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Does it still work effectively. I always assumed it needs to be applied directly on the vehicles metal sheeting.
I wouldn't have done so if it wasn't effective..ha! It's not the sheet metal that's the issue..It's the thin plastic cover that tends to vibrate a bit during very deep bass notes...this resolves that problem...

Lil Grey Supra

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Camaro - 427ci LSX turbo'd, 2016 RAM 2500, 2021 GR Supra 3.0 Prem
Tom - started the improvement today. Quick question - when cutting the panel port holes - does the carpet have a tendency to "pull" and strip out when using a hole saw? Some carpets do and some don't - finding out with the drill running at a couple thousand RPM won't end up well.

Used speaker baffling (the pull apart kind) to line the compartments. Works like a champ and bass response is actually pretty good now. Just taking the panel off makes a big difference - poor design like you say.

As a pilot, I've had some choice words for Engineers through the years - I take back some of them :cool:

Thanks for the shared knowledge!

OP
OP
tadda

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Tom - started the improvement today. Quick question - when cutting the panel port holes - does the carpet have a tendency to "pull" and strip out when using a hole saw? Some carpets do and some don't - finding out with the drill running at a couple thousand RPM won't end up well.

Used speaker baffling (the pull apart kind) to line the compartments. Works like a champ and bass response is actually pretty good now. Just taking the panel off makes a big difference - poor design like you say.

As a pilot, I've had some choice words for Engineers through the years - I take back some of them :cool:

Thanks for the shared knowledge!
I haven't heard of anyone having an issues with cutting holes...carpet stays intact....

pav911

First Name
Pav
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Range Rover, Mini JCW
I made a right balls up of it as I knew I would.

when I drilled a pilot hole the carpet wrapped itself around the drill bit so I had to cut that off. when I cut the 2" hole the carpet wrapped itself around the cutter and actually yanked the carpet off the original glue positions. it wasn't a massive deal as I just used contact adhesive to glue it back down again. I had to put the drill in reverse to untangle things a bit.

Lil Grey Supra

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Camaro - 427ci LSX turbo'd, 2016 RAM 2500, 2021 GR Supra 3.0 Prem
ok thanks - that's what I was thinking it might do. I might go in and try to cut the carpet out first with a razor blade

OP
OP
tadda

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I actually used a dremel tool disk blade to cut out the hole rather than use a hole saw....I had no issues...

If your going to use a hole saw, I suggest starting out slowly using lowest rpm setting...It also helps quite a bit to first apply tape over the area your going to cut out to prevent the carpet from catching and detaching from the surface....

pav911

First Name
Pav
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Range Rover, Mini JCW
actually maybe I might be confusing matters a bit. it wasn't the carpet on the front that got tangle with the cutter, probably because I used the tape as suggested, it was the foamy/fluffy material behind the panel where the hole will eventually be.

OP
OP
tadda

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
actually maybe I might be confusing matters a bit. it wasn't the carpet on the front that got tangle with the cutter, probably because I used the tape as suggested, it was the foamy material behind the panel.
Yeah, you actually need to cut that felt insulation behind the panel and peel it back before drilling the hole!
Sponsored