SUPRA ULTIMATE JB4 GUIDE AND LOG REVIEW (V1)

OP
OP
ColonelAdama

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI
Any help you can provide using JB4 with MHD BEF? I have the wifi adapter coming then i’ll get the MHD license and have the ECU unlocked within the next week or so, everything seems to have to come from Cali and i’m in FL so shipping takes forever.

Currently been running JB4 on Map 5 with E30
Current Mods:
Injen CAI with Charge pipes
Dinan CF turbo inlet tube
AFE Full Exhuast
Kanji Garage catless DP

Trims are maxing out currently so want to flash with MHD to help the JB4 from my research this combo is pretty awesome. Also debating just MHD E30 tune no JB4 but since you and Jesse have a of experience would love to hear your thoughts.

If I do JB4 with MHD which map on JB4 should be used and which OTS map (if anyone knows) for the current mods?

Here is the log from the last time I did it with the current mods:
https://datazap.me/u/phantomx2k/fbo?log=0&data=1-4

Any help is always appreciated don’t mind paying for good advice
No experience with doing back-end flashes on Gen 2 B58s, but I've seen people do it with Gen 1. I would definitely reach out to BMS to make sure its compatible. After that, I'm sure the JB4 map could be dialed in fairly easily.

For logs, please make sure it is full throttle in 3rd or 4th gear (depending on traction)
Sponsored

Jesse DaBears

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Tungsten Supra 3.0 Premium
No experience with doing back-end flashes on Gen 2 B58s, but I've seen people do it with Gen 1. I would definitely reach out to BMS to make sure its compatible. After that, I'm sure the JB4 map could be dialed in fairly easily.

For logs, please make sure it is full throttle in 3rd or 4th gear (depending on traction)
Ive done quite a bit of these. Its honestly sick. Imagine proper fueling at 24 PSI on E50 and trims at 25 on the JB4. Its a shame alot more people dont go this route.

OP
OP
ColonelAdama

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ive done quite a bit of these. Its honestly sick. Imagine proper fueling at 24 PSI on E50 and trims at 25 on the JB4. Its a shame alot more people dont go this route.
Dang, yeah I can imagine. Fueling is by far the worst limitation of the JB4.

Phantomx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
2020 Supra is it gen 1 or 2?

Phantomx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
Well I couldn’t make the MHD BEF and JB4 work together. Car over boosted at 3000rpm, jumpy and basically undriveable. Couldn’t even drive enough to get a log to try and figure out just didn’t run right and surged all over the place. Ultimately just turned it off loaded the MHD Stage 2 E40 map and did a couple runs a 0-60 and a 3rd/4th pull

When I flipped BIT6 to on and went back to my maps to change them they all appeared to be exactly the same and from what I read they are supposed to be different for Backend Flash tunes with all the maps having absolute targets vs +targets. Maybe this was the issue and the JB4 just didn’t switch to the BEF maps?

I used the BEF Gen 2 Race map per Burger, they wanted me to switch it to the pump map but the gen 2 zip file has 2 pump maps and I haven’t heard back as to which one I was supposed to use. I don’t know that I want to keep messing with the combo as the MHD Full OTS tune just seems so bang on with some of the best overall numbers i’ve seen vs JB4 alone.

If anyone has seen something like that or has some suggestions i’m all ears. Going to the Dyno on Thursday wanted to try some combos but man it’s a pain in the ass to use the MHD adapter full time so i’m leaving the JB4 hooked up solely for logging purposes and Live guages.

While the MHD can do logging and guages you have to be in wifi, airplane mode, BT turned off otherwise the wireless apple car play keeps kicking me off the MHD wifi and taking over and when you use MHD wife and shutoff Bluetooth you can’t use your phone for apple car play or any music so that kinda sucked.

Here is the MHD Log Stage 2 OTS E40 Map - trims and AFR looking solid
https://datazap.me/u/phantomx2k/jb4-map0-mhd-stage-2-e40?log=0&data=1-4&hg=4-6-14-18

For comparison here is my JB4 Map 5 log no MHD - AFR was scary, trims maxed
https://datazap.me/u/phantomx2k/log-1707267631?log=0&data=1-4&hg=18-4-14

OP
OP
ColonelAdama

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Just based on the boost numbers I'm seeing on your MHD datalog, I am certain that Map 5 with the BEF would be much faster. Its about 4 psi more boost.

Get confirmation with BMS about which BEF file to use.

And yes, having bit 6 on makes every map absolute, but does not change Map 4 or 5 at all.

Map 1 ends up like 16 psi, 2 is 18 psi, etc.

Why don't you try Map 1 or Map 2 (with Bit 6) and the BEF?

Phantomx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
It wasn’t running right it was surging and overboosting and not smooth at all Just bucking a lot like the car couldn’t figure out how much boost and when it would add it then immediately remove it And buck.

Terry said switch to the pump map problem is in there file is 2 pump maps. PUMP_4 and PUMP_PS2 and I don’t know what is what and they take days to respond Sometimes.

It also doesn’t explain there are 2 pump maps in there instructions. There are also 3 E85 maps in there file and no instructions on what is what either. Only 1 Race file though so I couldn’t mess that up. I would think since this could blow up a $10k plus engine there would be more detailed instructions.

The main issue I have is the JB4 does not change the map descriptions when you flip BIT6 it still shows all the same non backend maps which, if it is working right is super confusing, if it isn’t working right you wouldn’t know. For all I know it’s still applying +targets because technically speaking that is exactly what the screen says it’s doing. Based on behavior that’s what it feels like it’s doing, if it isn’t I wouldn’t know because the system doesn’t show me the right info.

If it’s running different maps it should absolutely show exactly what your running and what each map is and not just change the maps and leave the old descriptions that’s how peeps blow things up. I get there is nuance with stuff but JB4 has been around a long long time now and BEF stuff has been out almost 5yrs (since 2019) plenty of time to have this sorted and put the right stuff in the right place as well as clean up the zip files and flash maps with better descriptions.

As for running that high boost I don’t think the stock fuel pump/system can keep up with 22psi on E30 can it?

Last edited:

Phantomx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
That is good to know for sure. I just don’t want to blow it up and with the combo they told me to run it was really jacked up.

OP
OP
ColonelAdama

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
For all I know it’s still applying +targets because technically speaking that is exactly what the screen says it’s doing.
In your logs, the "Target variable" will indicate whether it is in additive or absolute mode. If it is lower than ~10, it's additive.

Phantomx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
In your logs, the "Target variable" will indicate whether it is in additive or absolute mode. If it is lower than ~10, it's additive.
Oh that is good to note. I just went back to look at some old logs I see what you mean.

This is why it’s confusing: Here is what the B58 Thread says for instructions:

RACE: Intended for most applications including good pump gas fuel like 93 octane up through 30% E85 mixtures, can also be used with WMI.

PUMP: Intended for lower grade fuels such as 91 octane or in applications where less overall timing advance is needed than RACE. PUMP_91 is for very low grade fuel like 89-91 octane.

E40-E60: Intended for most E85 mixtures.

STRAIGHT-85: Intended for those customers running 100% E85 generally in conjunction with the an upgraded high pressure fuel pump like Fuel-IT or Dorsch.

WMI: Indicates a decaying fuel scalar for vehicles equipped with higher volume WMI or CPI systems.

PURE/TURBO: Indicates mapping intended for use with PS2 and other larger turbo options.

But if you look at the attachment below for the actual maps in the folder it doesn’t line up. The only one is Race that lines up with there descriptions And it doesn’t work LOL

IMG_2020.jpeg

OP
OP
ColonelAdama

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Oh that is good to note. I just went back to look at some old logs I see what you mean.

This is why it’s confusing: Here is what the B58 Thread says for instructions:

RACE: Intended for most applications including good pump gas fuel like 93 octane up through 30% E85 mixtures, can also be used with WMI.

PUMP: Intended for lower grade fuels such as 91 octane or in applications where less overall timing advance is needed than RACE. PUMP_91 is for very low grade fuel like 89-91 octane.

E40-E60: Intended for most E85 mixtures.

STRAIGHT-85: Intended for those customers running 100% E85 generally in conjunction with the an upgraded high pressure fuel pump like Fuel-IT or Dorsch.

WMI: Indicates a decaying fuel scalar for vehicles equipped with higher volume WMI or CPI systems.

PURE/TURBO: Indicates mapping intended for use with PS2 and other larger turbo options.

But if you look at the attachment below for the actual maps in the folder it doesn’t line up. The only one is Race that lines up with there descriptions And it doesn’t work LOL

IMG_2020.jpeg
Wonder where that E40-E60 map is? That sounds like what you want to be able to run Map 5

Phantomx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
Wonder where that E40-E60 map is? That sounds like what you want to be able to run Map 5
Yea but I can’t it just goes absolutely haywire. I don’t know what any of those BEF’s do except maybe race Which is what they told me to use first. Color me confused…

Since it’s running 18psi in the MHD tune and you think I could run 22 (map 5 setting) well 18 (MHD’s boost level) + 4 JB4 Map 2 is 22 could I just run JB4 on MAP 2 (+4 additive) instead of froggin with backend flashes? Or map 1 +3 but I don’t know if Jb4 sees more boost then stock and just doesn’t do anything

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColonelAdama

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yea but I can’t it just goes absolutely haywire. I don’t know what any of those BEF’s do except maybe race Which is what they told me to use first. Color me confused…

Since it’s running 18psi in the MHD tune and you think I could run 22 (map 5 setting) well 18 (MHD’s boost level) + 4 JB4 Map 2 is 22 could I just run JB4 on MAP 2 (+4 additive) instead of froggin with backend flashes? Or map 1 +3 but I don’t know if Jb4 sees more boost then stock and just doesn’t do anything
What happens when you run the RACE BEF with JB4 set to Map 0? Should just be stock boost with lower trims.
Sponsored