SUPRA ULTIMATE JB4 GUIDE AND LOG REVIEW (V1)

OP
OP
ColonelAdama

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI
+ 4 JB4 Map 2 is 22 could I just run JB4 on MAP 2 (+4 additive) instead of froggin with backend flashes? Or map 1 +3 but I don’t know if Jb4 sees more boost then stock and just doesn’t do anything
Missed this. BMS exclusively uses absolute boost control for BEF maps, so I have no idea what would happen with it as additive. You'd want to ask them about that.

As far as i know, you hadn't yet tried any other map besides Map 5 with the BEF. So I would really advise just testing it at lower boost maps to see if you are going lean, overboosting, etc. Various things could make the car run horribly.
Sponsored

Phantomx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
OP
OP
ColonelAdama

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It wasn't good . 50% throttle boost jumped to 9psi and the car kinda freaked out I grabbed a log of it any more throttle it pegged the boost gauge. Immediately removed it
That was on Map 0? Can you post that log?

OP
OP
ColonelAdama

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Based on your pedal inputs, throttle, boost, AFR, trims all looked normal. though you said it only had the issue when you got into the pedal more. This was only up to 50%.

Also, not sure why your FF value is so low. It almost looks like IAT spoofing is enabled too since every data point is 78.

Make sure all JB4 maps have FF set at 50, and make sure IAT spoofing is off. (it doesn't seem to be on, but still weird)

Phantomx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
That was the BEF doing that. Check this log out. This is the boost spike at 50% throttle with BEF and JB4 Map 0

Then as you go along the next run is the MHD E40 OTS with JB4 Map 1 (it did add a little boost) look at how fast it jumped to 9psi just starting to apply throttle vs the MHD even 100% pedal it was only at 10.5psi building the way it’s supposed to. IF I try more throttle or let it keep going it would max boost without me being at WOT. That is not supposed to happen.

The BEF apparently sets those values because you’ll with the BEF IAT is 78 and FF50 but then look at the MHD back half you’ll see IAT’s come back and so does FF Like it should

https://datazap.me/u/phantomx2k/mix...e40-jb4-map-1?log=0&data=1-4&hg=5-4-18-3-6-20

something is F’d with the BEF RACE map from Burger don’t know what else to do with it

OP
OP
ColonelAdama

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That was the BEF doing that. Check this log out. This is the boost spike at 50% throttle with BEF and JB4 Map 0

Then as you go along the next run is the MHD E40 OTS with JB4 Map 1 (it did add a little boost) look at how fast it jumped to 9psi just starting to apply throttle vs the MHD even 100% pedal it was only at 10.5psi building the way it’s supposed to. IF I try more throttle or let it keep going it would max boost without me being at WOT. That is not supposed to happen.

The BEF apparently sets those values because you’ll with the BEF IAT is 78 and FF50 but then look at the MHD back half you’ll see IAT’s come back and so does FF Like it should

https://datazap.me/u/phantomx2k/mix...e40-jb4-map-1?log=0&data=1-4&hg=5-4-18-3-6-20

something is F’d with the BEF RACE map from Burger don’t know what else to do with it
i wonder if there is any downside to stacking an Absolute JB4 map with the regular MHD E40 OTS map... since BEF is not quite right.

Additive with the OTS map was OK... But you were very close to tripping your JB4 boost safety at 22 psi. That is the risk of additive. Using Map 4 wouldn't have allowed it to get over 20.

OP
OP
ColonelAdama

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Here's a log of a Gen 1 BEF Map 4 I reviewed earlier this week:

https://datazap.me/u/coloneladama/log-1707945239?log=0&data=1-2-3-4-8-15-20&zoom=118-187

IATs are not fixed. FF did not adapt super low. So these are not normal things for a BEF.

By the way, please do your logs like this. 2500 to redline. Ideally a shift into the next gear for a second, then let off.

Phantomx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
I got the BEF maps from here https://www.jb4tech.com/forum/model...ion/b58-b48/25593-b58-mhd-back-end-flash-maps

Followed the instructions and used the GEN2 maps, you saw my map files in the screenshot is there somewhere else I need to download these maps or these just don’t work on my 2020 Supra

I try to do the 3rd gear pulls I have to remember to lock it in manual because when I hit at 2500 it drops into 2nd gear. I can’t do that with my current BEF I swear it would overboost and break something. It Max boosts so fast and i’ve never hit 100% throttle. I just idled it home and reflashed it

OP
OP
ColonelAdama

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I got the BEF maps from here https://www.jb4tech.com/forum/model...ion/b58-b48/25593-b58-mhd-back-end-flash-maps

Followed the instructions and used the GEN2 maps, you saw my map files in the screenshot is there somewhere else I need to download these maps or these just don’t work on my 2020 Supra

I try to do the 3rd gear pulls I have to remember to lock it in manual because when I hit at 2500 it drops into 2nd gear. I can’t do that with my current BEF I swear it would overboost and break something. It Max boosts so fast and i’ve never hit 100% throttle. I just idled it home and reflashed it
Yeah I downloaded the same gen 2 BEF ZIP to see for myself earlier.

When you say "max boosts so fast" that doesn't really mean anything to me. If you run Map 1 with BEF Bit 6 enabled, it should not exceed 16 psi at all... Which is completely safe.

Remember Boost2 is what actually gets into your engine, not Boost. So if you are just seeing a little boost spike, the throttle will handle it.

Really though, confirm with BMS because I still think the FF and IAT things are a bit weird with your BEF.

Phantomx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
When I say boost spikes I mean it races toward full boost and the guage maxes out with only part throttle input And it doesn’t matter what map I set it to even Map 0, I’ve driven the car for a year and over 13,000 miles it doesn’t behave like that it is very evident something is wrong when you just try to pull out of the side street the car races toward huge boost numbers.

if you dig into the data more you can see the massive ramp up starting at only 30% throttle going 5 to 7 to 9 as I was easing into a little more throttle, with the MHD tune, stock tune, stock with JB4 if I hold steady on the gas like getting up to speed in traffic that boost should stay relative and pretty steady usually around 4-5psi as I roll up to speed that graph shows a rapid spike as if I smashed the throttle which I did not do. As mentioned the little I did before that MAXED the boost guage out it should not be building OR spiking over 20psi of boost with small 30-50% easy throttle inputs.

The map + my Supra just don’t work for whatever reason mine seems different. You can tell when a car isn’t drivable and something is wrong been doing this 30+ years you just know “that ain’t right” and you get out or motors go boom.

Phantomx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
Here Is the difference to illustrate why this was scary.

The first graph is the MHD tune and you can see about 30% throttle and holding 30% for about 15-20 seconds and boost stays steady around 5psi like it’s supposed to With a nice easy ramp up and then holding like it should.

The 2nd chart. You can see a massive boost spike throttle still 30% but ramping up super fast even though i’m holding 30% the boost is ramping super quick this was like 5 or so seconds and the throttle opens up to 50% (I really didn’t move the pedal) I’m guessing because the boost was coming in so fast it applied more throttle to compensate as it went from 5psi and I let off when it hit 9 because it was coming in like I was accelerating but I wasn’t i was going easy.

you can see the exact same throttle values in both graphs and wildly different boost behavior.

IMG_2021.jpeg

IMG_2022.jpeg

Jesse DaBears

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Tungsten Supra 3.0 Premium
Here Is the difference to illustrate why this was scary.

The first graph is the MHD tune and you can see about 30% throttle and holding 30% for about 15-20 seconds and boost stays steady around 5psi like it’s supposed to With a nice easy ramp up and then holding like it should.

The 2nd chart. You can see a massive boost spike throttle still 30% but ramping up super fast even though i’m holding 30% the boost is ramping super quick this was like 5 or so seconds and the throttle opens up to 50% (I really didn’t move the pedal) I’m guessing because the boost was coming in so fast it applied more throttle to compensate as it went from 5psi and I let off when it hit 9 because it was coming in like I was accelerating but I wasn’t i was going easy.

you can see the exact same throttle values in both graphs and wildly different boost behavior.

IMG_2021.jpeg

IMG_2022.jpeg
Just do a normal log and post.... I see a peak of 9 PSI at 50% throttle input.

Phantomx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
Not sure what you read that log shows 9psi at 30%. Those graphs clearly show boost spike abnormally fast not to mention it surges and bucks, throttle response isn’t right. It’s like it’s not meant for the car it shouldn’t be trying to run that much boost pulling out of my side street in the neighborhood

I can’t do a normal log has been my point it over boosts drastically. I jumped out of the throttle after barely touching it and it has hit max boost under part throttle I’m not blowing the motor up for a log file. It is clear something is wrong as Adam’s pointed out the lat issue and if not working either and they should

and say I do post a log and it shows 22psi at part throttle way over boosting nothing anyone of us can do the Burger map is the problem unless you guys can fix there tune?

Phantomx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium

@Jesse DaBears.
Look at this log. Since Jb4 combined runs this one shows the same crazy boost spike hitting 9.1 psi just pulling out on the street. The car should not do that at 1:/3 throttle easing out

the back half of the graph where the run begins is reflashed and is the MHD tune. So 2 different flashes in the same chart

notice the iat doesn’t work and ff. Then the flash change and it suddenly works.

Drivability doesn’t really show in a log file all that well at least not the Jb4 logs

IMG_4095.png

Not supposed to be crazy fast spikes like that. With JB4 disabled and the BEF the car is supposed to drive like stock right? That isn’t stock behavior!

I know you guys may work with some younger clientele and some this is there first fast car. I’ve been doing this a long time over a lot of fast and a lot of fast turbo cars. I tuned and downpiped every one of my Mercedes 63S cars (GLC, C, E, GT63, GLE63) all making 700-800hp. I’ve owned a dozen fast mustangs (SC’s and NA) including a 2004 600hp cobra back in the day that’s still floating around YouTube, sprayed cars to.

so give me a little latitude when I say “it ain’t right” the kinda ain’t right that will hurt the motor.
Sponsored

Last edited: