A91 manual transmission limits

shaloot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MK5 Supra
Can anyone provide personal experience as to when your manual trans failed or showed signs of failure on your A91? Perhaps I’ve not searched enough yet but I’m not seeing that many manuals that have gone past the pure800 level of power.
Trying to plan a build with a 6870 at the most, but intending to keep torque modest. Idea being not just blowing hot air out of a tiny turbo to reach the 700-800whp area.

the FX1000 clutch looks overkill for this but I’m more focused on whether anyone experienced trans failures and at what point.

Thanks so much for your consideration and input
Sponsored

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 CU Later Grey, 2015 Taccoma, 2013 A
Can anyone provide personal experience as to when your manual trans failed or showed signs of failure on your A91? Perhaps I’ve not searched enough yet but I’m not seeing that many manuals that have gone past the pure800 level of power.
Trying to plan a build with a 6870 at the most, but intending to keep torque modest. Idea being not just blowing hot air out of a tiny turbo to reach the 700-800whp area.

the FX1000 clutch looks overkill for this but I’m more focused on whether anyone experienced trans failures and at what point.

Automatic is the same as Manual transmission meaning they are both made by ZF. The only difference is clutch, pressure plate and of course gearing ratios (how long each gear is). I'll be watching this thread for what people say because I would like to end up around the 680-750HP range as well with my build. I think as manual owners we can learn a lot from the automatics that have been pushing power the last 3 years and just reinforce the clutch to handle power over the 500HP. My local shop owner told me our manuals start slipping going over 500hp without an upgraded clutch.

Last edited:

Stvee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2007 4Runner

It's the same gear set used in the f80/g80 m3 and there have been a bunch of high power builds on those platforms. The manual is new enough on this platform that there aren’t many yet but you can find plenty of examples on those forums.

The transmission itself should be very strong. We’ll see how the clutch holds up when we have more data points.

Last edited:

MaximumAttack

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91-MT Toyota Supra, 2005 AP2 Honda S2000
Automatic is the same as Manual transmission meaning they are both made at Magna Steyr in Austria.

lolwut. Magna Steyr does not make either transmission. Magna Steyr assembled the car. The transmissions are both made by ZF Friedrichshafen AG, aka ZF Group, an engineering company/parts supplier headquartered in Baden-Württemberg, Germany. This is the same company that made BMW's previous DCTs and also makes Porsche's "PDK" DCT transmissions.

Last edited:

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lolwut. Magna Steyr does not make either transmission. Manga Steyr assembled the car. The transmissions are both made by ZF Friedrichshafen AG, aka ZF Group, an engineering company/parts supplier headquartered in Baden-Württemberg, Germany. This is the same company that made BMW's previous DCTs and also makes Porsche's "PDK" DCT transmissions.
You are correct. I apologize for the confusion. ZF makes the transmission.

CULaterJimzo

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23' CUL A91 MT
I'm around 550whp on stock clutch and have yet had any issues with it slipping. I bought the clutch master's single disk fx350ss along with the hydraulic release bearing waiting on my shop to have space to install it

DGINR8supra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Toyota Supra
I'm around 550whp on stock clutch and have yet had any issues with it slipping. I bought the clutch master's single disk fx350ss along with the hydraulic release bearing waiting on my shop to have space to install it
Have you experienced any torque limit faults with that power? Also what mods and tuning platform do you have?

Eddy90

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra MT

This gives me a lot of hope. What Torque numbers are you putting down?

MSport

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra
For $700 and an install the clutch masters kit probably isn’t a bad buy. If you plan on spending some coin on taking her up in those ranges. Just seen CES via ThiccWhips install them on IG and YouTube. I’ll probably drive 3 hours to CES soon for a Tune and probably just have them throw in the clutch while I’m there. Probably a lot more practical than the $2000 I spent on a catback.

OP
OP

shaloot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MK5 Supra
It's the same gear set used in the f80/g80 m3 and there have been a bunch of high power builds on those platforms. The manual is new enough on this platform that there aren’t many yet but you can find plenty of examples on those forums.

The transmission itself should be very strong. We’ll see how the clutch holds up when we have more data points.
That’s great info thanks didn’t know it was the same as what was used in those cars. Guess it’s just clutch to worry about then IMO. Thanks a lot to all for the replies.

RyanA90

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
‘23 Supra A91-MT Burnout
What’s your Wtq?

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My local shop owner was telling me about quality control issues with Clutch Masters on the A90 a few months ago. Keep us posted on how you like it after install. Are you Stage 2 full bolt ons E50/E85 for the 550whp?

Stvee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2007 4Runner
My local shop owner was telling me about quality control issues with Clutch Masters on the A90 a few months ago. Keep us posted on how you like it after install. Are you Stage 2 full bolt ons E50/E85 for the 550whp?
How does he have that much experience with them? I can't imagine that many people have already been to his shop to upgrade to that specific clutch considering there have only been around ~1200 manuals sold so far.

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
How does he have that much experience with them? I can't imagine that many people have already been to his shop to upgrade to that specific clutch considering there have only been around ~1200 manuals sold so far.
I might have misquoted him when what he really meant to say was clutchmasters also on other vehicles platforms. Then by association he was putting two and two together if a few A90s came in with clutchmasters that needed attention or were faulty. He said to go with Spec and I for the other brand, who have been in the bmw clutch game for much longer and producing even drifting quality clutches. I spoke to the guys at Spec and will be going with them. Super cool people and answered all my rookie questions. Made in Alabama.

racebuild

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW
Great clutch for a street car, not for track use (road race), held 600whp no problem.

I used ClutchMasters in all my race cars ranging from 350-750whp, no issues. I do advise that you choose the correct clutch disc material for your application.

For a street car the full face Kevlar disc has amazing engagement, near stock drivability. If you plan on racing/tracking the car, the Kevlar disc has a tendency to stick when it gets really hot ~20 minute sessions.
Sponsored