NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
So an interesting situation I found myself in today... I dropped my car off for some warranty items (new speakers, replace harness bar rattle, chassis malfunction) and to inform them of an issue I experienced. So about 2 months ago while accelerating from 2nd and then shifting into 3rd I experienced a total "lack of clutch" It slipped completely from about 3k to redline, at first I did not even realize what was happenings as it wasn't just a little slip and it caught, nope acted as if it had no clutch left at all, I let off, and accelerated again completely fine through all the gears, (albeit a very strong smell of burnt clutch for 3-4 hours) It was weird and unsettling but I chalked it up to fluke.( I did mention it to the dealer while getting the first service and they noted it) Driving again the other night under very similar conditions the exact same thing happened under the exact same circumstance, accelerating and 2 to 3 shift. And the same hours of smell, I was with a passenger this time and we both came to the conclusion that this isn't just a fluke and the car acted as if it had no clutch at all, but then when doing the exact same thing 3-4 more times it would not slip again. Obviously there is an issue, heat damage somehow maybe? ( I actually broke the clutch in pretty strictly for the first 500 miles) Slave cylinder? Pivot pin? few different things it could be. All of this is fine and dandy as it is a brand new car with 3k miles and under full warranty, so no reason to worry as I have not done a single power mod, no tuning etc. Well today after dropping it off I got a call from my tech saying he reached out regarding the issue to their FST and other appropriate channels. I am told that the clutch is a wear item and is only under warranty for the first year /12k miles, great im at 3xxx and have had the car for less then 6 months! Nope, not that simple. They will look at it but only if I agree to pay a tear down fee, if something is found they will cover it and fix it, but if not I am stuck with the whole labor bill for them checking... So they won't even check till I pay thousands out of pocket and risk not getting it back if they "deem" there are no issues which I know there clearly is but not sure what it will take to find it! so it is definitely precarious I find myself in. The tech said he will call the Field service tech to come down locally and have me try and replicate the issue in front of him in hopes he waives the tear down fee bs. I have been absolutely loving my MT, truly an amazing platform but this really is not what I wanted to hear... for 3k miles and being at a stock power level... slipping is pretty unacceptable. Just a little "rant" and update on my A91 MT!
ALB00110-3.JPEG
Sponsored

Davedaveee

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra GR Premium 3.0
Wow keep us updated. Warranty for my 2020 was good. They never argued anything with me. Hope everything is resolved for you.

Avarela99

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 3.0
Fingers crossed it all works out for you and they waive the BS teardown fee... I hope I never have to bring my car to Toyota for any type of work it seems like there's always some sort of hiccup with Supras getting service or warranty work at dealers

Rhane

First Name
Rhane
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 A91-MT, '22 Mustang GT, '13 FR-S
Wow that's crazy. I put about 700 on mine so far. I honestly go pretty hard on it, especially after the 500mi mark. No slipping, no nothing and that's with a catless dp, intake, charge pipe. I hope they take care of you! No car, especially a Supra, should be slipping without power mods lol

RyanA90

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
‘23 Supra A91-MT Burnout
I'm currently at about 1800 Miles with no issues so far. Hopefully they take care of you! Good luck with the dealership.

DGINR8supra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Toyota Supra
This is one of my fears, how’s the clutch holding up now? Can you still drive the car? Also are there any upgraded clutch options out that we know of? I spoke with pure drivetrain solutions and they didn’t have anything available as of yet.

SD_MK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
there are no aftermarket support for clutches on the manual mkv's. My buddy has been checking in religiously, no luck.

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra / 2019 Y61 Nissan Patrol
there are no aftermarket support for clutches on the manual mkv's. My buddy has been checking in religiously, no luck.
was just to about to ask the same thing. It's pretty new I doubt that market support will be that great. It needs time and money R&D and such.

Marsone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ISF, FRS
was just to about to ask the same thing. It's pretty new I doubt that market support will be that great. It needs time and money R&D and such.
If this does become a thing, surely Toyota will recall and upgrade the clutches on all MTs.

6SPDA91

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silverado, S1000R, A91-MT
Sorry to hear that Phil. Definitely keep us updated on what you find out. Maybe it was just a effective clutch from the factory? Shit happens, but hopefully they will take care of you in the end.