Pyrthra

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk5 manual supra
Hello,

Just found out my manual Supra needs a new clutch assembly and flywheel after 2 months of ownership and only 568 miles. long story short none of it is covered under warranty due to the clutch being a wear and tear item. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue and if anyone has an idea of what clutch I should purchase. OEM Toyota/bmw clutch/flywheel will cost 5k and I donā€™t want to risk the same thing happening again. Any help is appreciated
Sponsored

DGINR8supra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Toyota Supra
Wow thatā€™s unfortunate, I have the clutchmasters fx1000 twin disc kit that comes with the flywheel. Also did the hydraulic release bearing that eliminates the plastic slave cylinder and clutch fork (smoother engagement with this) and a pedal bushing kit that improves feel over the plastic parts. All that msrp is around 3k. For an oem replacement like the fx250 with the flywheel, hydro bearing and pedal bushing, youā€™re still looking around 2.5k. Definitely better priced than 5k for oem stock clutch.

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 CU Later Grey, 2015 Taccoma, 2013 A
I've had my 2023 manual since February and no issues what so ever. I allowed the car to break in properly but after that I haven't babies it at all. When I get on it I drive it hard. I wonder if your flywheel or clutch was just bad luck.

Crypto79

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 MT, 1997 sc300 5 Speed
I would agree that itā€™s worth a second look at the warranty situation. Unless you suck, and Iā€™ve never driven a clutch before or modded the power level there has to be fluid Contamination on the clutch itself

OP
OP

Pyrthra

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk5 manual supra
Wow thatā€™s unfortunate, I have the clutchmasters fx1000 twin disc kit that comes with the flywheel. Also did the hydraulic release bearing that eliminates the plastic slave cylinder and clutch fork (smoother engagement with this) and a pedal bushing kit that improves feel over the plastic parts. All that msrp is around 3k. For an oem replacement like the fx250 with the flywheel, hydro bearing and pedal bushing, youā€™re still looking around 2.5k. Definitely better priced than 5k for oem stock clutch.
Appreciate you I will probably be going this route

OP
OP

Pyrthra

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk5 manual supra
I would agree that itā€™s worth a second look at the warranty situation. Unless you suck, and Iā€™ve never driven a clutch before or modded the power level there has to be fluid Contamination on the clutch itself
So my plan is to go to another dealership but when speaking to Toyota corporate they advised a clutch is not under warranty at all since itā€™s wear and tear

OP
OP

Pyrthra

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk5 manual supra
Unfortunately it looks like Toyota will be no help on this. Apparently some other user in my area had the same thing happen to them however they just went after market and I donā€™t blame them

STi_to_GRzupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra MT Premium, 2021 4Runner TRD Pro
Try another dealer, they should be able to do a goodwill claim. You will need to find a dealer willing to do that. Did the dealer you bought it from denied it?

Like DGINR8supra mentioned, go aftermarket.
Good thing Clutchmaster has clutches for our cars

OP
OP

Pyrthra

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk5 manual supra
Try another dealer, they should be able to do a goodwill claim. You will need to find a dealer willing to do that. Did the dealer you bought it from denied it?

Like DGINR8supra mentioned, go aftermarket.
Good thing Clutchmaster has clutches for our cars
Yeah I probably will go aftermarket. Toyota has not been pleasant to deal with and corporate basically said the same thing.

Crypto79

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 MT, 1997 sc300 5 Speed
Thatā€™s crazy as the two most likely scenarios were a crazy clutch drop test drive causing glazing or fluid contamination. The dealer who sold it to you should at least be willing to help. How many miles did t have at pick up

OP
OP

Pyrthra

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk5 manual supra
0 miles, Iā€™ve only had the car for 2 months. I donā€™t know any driver that could kill a clutch in 568 miles haha

AndyK5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Nitro Yellow MT
Unless you sit there and try to do a burnout and slip the clutch and not spin the wheelsā€¦for like 30+ seconds generating smoke and horrible smellā€¦.you canā€™t kill a clutch in 568 miles.

Iā€™d contact Toyota and then go after the dealership on small claims court saying they wasted your time, created mental stress AND tried to swindle you out of $5000 for clearly a warranty work.

You might not get anything however you will pull kn the ears of the dealership a bit. I donā€™t like letting people get away with shit as the less you speak about crap the bolder people become in their efforts to screw you.

This of course if you did not destroy the clutch due to your own actions.
Sponsored