Clutch Slipping on stock A91 MT...

Foogazzi

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 3.0MT Supra
My nickname was "Safety" never crashed on track in 20years tracking. I have had a few pucker moments . OCD about my setups. suspension, tires, etc. Always ride advanced and skip first and last session

I did witness 3 fatalities in 4 months time at the track....... 2@ Daytona. 1 at Roebling. Both incidents preventable.
Sponsored

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
My nickname was "Safety" never crashed on track in 20years tracking. I have had a few pucker moments . OCD about my setups. suspension, tires, etc. Always ride advanced and skip first and last session

I did witness 3 fatalities in 4 months time at the track....... 2@ Daytona. 1 at Roebling. Both incidents preventable.
I‘ve never heard of anyone doing the sport and not breaking bones. Not saying I don’t believe you but wow 😮…. That’s impressive dude!

6mtsoup

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91-MT
Came here for manual Supra clutches, left with no information, 20 side convos, and everyone’s opinion about irrelevant things. There’s now 2 threads about the same topic 10+ pages that have completely gone off track now. Kill these threads unless you have something to add to the ACTUAL conversation.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Came here for manual Supra clutches, left with no information, 20 side convos, and everyone’s opinion about irrelevant things. There’s now 2 threads about the same topic 10+ pages that have completely gone off track now. Kill these threads unless you have something to add to the ACTUAL conversation.
look-at-this-guy-colin-jost.gif

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450

Ok tough guy! ;)

I am betting and hoping- for the platform reputation's sake- that it is operator error. We still have 2 manuals in the family fleet- daughter has driven one since 16. Neither my track toy nor daily are manual but i am getting ready to manual swap my weekend e46M3. Owned and daily-ed e36 and e46 manuals for decade. Having driven and ridden with people in manuals for 30 years+....

Some people just can't. NOT saying OP or anyone else is a non-driver BUT 100% fact there are many more people that can't then can.
They can make the car move and affect gear changes but not in a "nice" way. Maybe it is some bad parts. But many of us have been rowing BMW gears aggressively for decades. This isn't a new system or trans.

Last edited:

dreadforge

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nitro MT
Ok tough guy! ;)

I am betting and hoping- for the platform reputation's sake- that it is operator error. We still have 2 manuals in the family fleet- daughter has driven one since 16. Neither my track toy nor daily are manual but i am getting ready to manual swap my weekend e46M3. Having driven and ridden with people in manuals for 30 years+....

Some people just can't. NOT saying OP or anyone else is a non-driver BUT 100% fact there are many more people that can't then can.
They can make the car move and affect gear changes but not in a "nice" way. Maybe it is some bad parts. But many of us have been rowing BMW gears aggressively for decades. This isn't a new system or trans.

I learned to drive manual on an e46 almost 20 years ago, and I am/was concerned for my other drivers when I read reviews for the manual a90 back in sept/oct '22 complaining about the reverse gear location which, as far as I know, has always been left and up on BMW's since atleast the mid 90s. It told me that a lot of people are coming to this platform with no experience with the parts from the parts bins, in any capacity and that their driving skills might not be what they think they are. I know it's perhaps a little esoteric but I think it speaks to something larger that you're alluding to, maybe.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Question being, which one of you have broken the most bones? At the track we talk about broken car parts 😂 But y’all are on a completely other level! I remember one guy telling me he was worried about his bike during a fall, so he made sure he place himself between the pavement and where the bike was going down. He spoke about it like it was a natural thing. Not bragging. It was just a ”of course I put myself down to protect the bike” 🫠 @lucky phil @Foogazzi
Left collar bone, left little finger, and 2 vertebra. Phillip Island is fast and unforgiving. Greg Hansford a well known Aussie motorcycle racer from the late 70's and 80's that finished 2nd and 3rd in the 250 and 350 World Championships in the early 80's plus many other national titles went on to be a very successful professional car racer after bikes. He was killed at Phillip Island in a car race in 1992 aged 42. You just never know I guess.

Phil

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
The reason threads usually go off track( and I take some responsibility for this one, sorry) is because it's run out of any actual detailed information and is stuck. Like a slipping clutch I guess. All revs and no progress so it's ends up parked on the side of the road and the participants start chewing the fat waiting for some facts to arrive like the metaphorical road side assistance guy. Detailed facts will get it jump started again. Anymore puns required?

Phil

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
I learned to drive manual on an e46 almost 20 years ago, and I am/was concerned for my other drivers when I read reviews for the manual a90 back in sept/oct '22 complaining about the reverse gear location which, as far as I know, has always been left and up on BMW's since atleast the mid 90s. It told me that a lot of people are coming to this platform with no experience with the parts from the parts bins, in any capacity and that their driving skills might not be what they think they are. I know it's perhaps a little esoteric but I think it speaks to something larger that you're alluding to, maybe.
Hi, I have been driving manual for 12 years, which is normal in Europe/UK anyway as that's what we do here it's not a 'skill' it's how we're taught.
So to your point about reverse I can tell you with confidence: I have a 2023 MT Supra and if there is one single thing I hate, is the reverse gear on this car. This has nothing to do with knowing BMWs or whatever, it is simply horrendous design. I have driven all sorts of cars/makes and never. ever. experienced such a ridiculous feeling trying to reverse the car, still now I am 99% of times unable to put it first try, because it doesn't feel natural and forces you to use more force than I ever normally need to apply to the gear lever, which is something you should never do, period, so it's poor design. I got the car brand spanking new and this even ruined my collection day as we couldn't drive the fucker out the dealership, and the sales assistant couldn't either and they had to call a tech. If you just spent all this money on a brand new car sorry but the first thing I'm gonna do is NOT force the gear lever.
There are so many effective known ways for entering reverse gear i.e. pull up, push down, a button or a lever under the knob, but no, they just had to make it ridiculous. (Zf, bmw, toyota, blame whoever it doesn't matter, it's trash regardless).

The issue is it's not even left and up, it is slightly diagonal upwards left. First gear is actually left and up, and reverse is SUPPOSEDLY far left and up, but it's not, and most other people on the forum have confirmed the same issue with overly notchy/weird reverse.

So yeah, sorry but I don't understand your point trying to link the Supra's/bmw reverse gear knowledge to whether someone is experienced or not in using manual transmissions, because if anything, the Supra is perhaps the poorest possible example of using a manual for reverse (all forward gears however are sublime!).

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Hi, I have been driving manual for 12 years, which is normal in Europe/UK anyway as that's what we do here it's not a 'skill' it's how we're taught.
So to your point about reverse I can tell you with confidence: I have a 2023 MT Supra and if there is one single thing I hate, is the reverse gear on this car. This has nothing to do with knowing BMWs or whatever, it is simply horrendous design. I have driven all sorts of cars/makes and never. ever. experienced such a ridiculous feeling trying to reverse the car, still now I am 99% of times unable to put it first try, because it doesn't feel natural and forces you to use more force than I ever normally need to apply to the gear lever, which is something you should never do, period, so it's poor design. I got the car brand spanking new and this even ruined my collection day as we couldn't drive the fucker out the dealership, and the sales assistant couldn't either and they had to call a tech. If you just spent all this money on a brand new car sorry but the first thing I'm gonna do is NOT force the gear lever.
There are so many effective known ways for entering reverse gear i.e. pull up, push down, a button or a lever under the knob, but no, they just had to make it ridiculous. (Zf, bmw, toyota, blame whoever it doesn't matter, it's trash regardless).

The issue is it's not even left and up, it is slightly diagonal upwards left. First gear is actually left and up, and reverse is SUPPOSEDLY far left and up, but it's not, and most other people on the forum have confirmed the same issue with overly notchy/weird reverse.

So yeah, sorry but I don't understand your point trying to link the Supra's/bmw reverse gear knowledge to whether someone is experienced or not in using manual transmissions, because if anything, the Supra is perhaps the poorest possible example of using a manual for reverse (all forward gears however are sublime!).
I think people are just ascribing difficulty with understanding a poor reverse mechanism for the truth we aren't allowed to say for a predominantly automatic platform:

A lot of people today simply can't drive a manual car. And those that "can drive a manual" don't necessarily do so properly.

And it is a skill.. you were taught it but a lot of people around the world aren't. My son has recently gotten his manual car license - here you can elect for a manual or automatic license - and what they are teaching/testing has been dumbed down so far that it is essentially incorrect.

For some examples of this dumbing down, when taking his test, my son was allowed to use all the modern aids available in a car, like rev matching, hill assist, reverse parking sensors and cameras. Now I understand that these are available on many new cars but these inexperienced drivers are mostly buying older second hand cars which have none of this tech.

Knowing how to legally drive a manual car and knowing how to drive one are not necessarily the same thing!

Emspilot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
I think people are just ascribing difficulty with understanding a poor reverse mechanism for the truth we aren't allowed to say for a predominantly automatic platform:

A lot of people today simply can't drive a manual car. And those that "can drive a manual" don't necessarily do so properly.

And it is a skill.. you were taught it but a lot of people around the world aren't. My son has recently gotten his manual car license - here you can elect for a manual or automatic license - and what they are teaching/testing has been dumbed down so far that it is essentially incorrect.

For some examples of this dumbing down, when taking his test, my son was allowed to use all the modern aids available in a car, like rev matching, hill assist, reverse parking sensors and cameras. Now I understand that these are available on many new cars but these inexperienced drivers are mostly buying older second hand cars which have none of this tech.

Knowing how to legally drive a manual car and knowing how to drive one are not necessarily the same thing!
Your elitism is getting a little annoying.
Don’t drive a manual - you’re a moron.
Have a mechanical issue - you obviously don’t know how to drive.
Own an automatic - you dumb shit, why’d you buy that?!
Get off your high horse and let people drive what they wanna drive and own what they wanna own.

dreadforge

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nitro MT

They've been like that for atleast 30 years, I learned to row gears on that format. Never had a problem with it.

Boataur

First Name
RB
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91-MT CUL
They've been like that for atleast 30 years, I learned to row gears on that format. Never had a problem with it.
Same here…works like a champ. When did the location of R become a thing?
Sponsored