Clutch Slipping on stock A91 MT...

puckshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 CU Later A91-MT
I 100% think my problem is isolated and not even clutch related but more so slave cylinder or pressure plate, but yes what Phil said I agree with 100%, 99.99 of the time I have auto rev match on, it is quicker and smoother then I ever will be and It makes me sound like I know what I am doing, my distain for the car and comments about selling are partially hyperbole and exaggerated but also more so due to the fact that I was told they wont investigate my issue without paying a tear down fee of thousands of dollars, something I feel is ridiculous on a 3k mile stock car, especially since I first complained about this at 1k miles and that is on record, next they told me that if I do things on my own with disassembly and or install an aftermarket clutch to remedy the possible issue, my whole powertrain/drivetrain warranty will be subsequently voided, a catch 22 as I specifically bought an MT to enjoy and keep mechanically stock as I am entering law school soon as well other life changes where I no longer feel comfortable having the risk of a $10,000 bill if something serious fails, with my fbo 2020 I modified and tuned it knowing that risk was there and ready to "pay to play" but a majority of the reason I went to this 23 was to have a nice factory fresh warranty incase anything happened. Now my option are as follows : pay out of pocket and put an upgraded clutch in hopes it fixes my issue, one that I don't even think has to do with the clutch, and then void the warranty on my brand new car, Pay a tear down fee and "hope" that the FST finds an issue he deems as a parts defects, a very subjective and difficult process that risks thousands of dollars on my end, drive with the car until it eventually fully fails and hope it happens before 12k miles, and even then still risk them fighting me on the repair. It puts a very sour taste in my mouth as I feel like no matter what, I am getting screwed one way or another.
Yeah you have every right to be upset with the options theyā€™ve given you. Also I donā€™t think they can just void your entire power train warranty for replacing a clutch. These dealerships love to just throw out crap like that. You definitely shouldnā€™t have to go that route anyway and I wouldnā€™t.

Iā€™d escalate the situation with Toyota if you havenā€™t already. Itā€™s a new car and they should at least investigate the issue on their own dime. If they can prove abuse caused it after a tear down, then they can talk about billing you for the repairs.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I am 2k into my MT....... no issue just my own faults with the accelerator and a blinking traction lights.

I have been reading that past 10 pages of "thoughts and opinions" My experience with BMW has greatly been on S1kRR (BMW motorcycle) at the racetrack. the traction control on the moto's is ridiculous, almost violent at times. Depending on the throttle setting (ie. rain, sport,race) the intervention of traction control varies from subtle to scary. The initial feeling is complete power failure and immediately back to plaid.

I am curios if the same interventions from traction control are simulating the sensation the clutch is "slipping". Is TCS off when this has occurred? The Supra responds differently when TCS is completely off. No interventions.

Anywho, Call me idiot. Thinking outside the box. ZF makes a strong product. and I believe Toyota has built a product around a "stock" platform.
Recommend hitting the safety button one click and turn that crap off. Totally agree with you. Itā€™s extremely intrusively.

GRSupraPR

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 2023, Tacoma TRD PRO 2022
Guys and gals let's take a second to regroup here. I mentioned this in GR's thread, but this is a great place for us to share information, but we have to base it on fact not opinion.

Data is what helps us build theories and answers. Everything else is just speculation. If we look at things like build date, country having issues, stock vs tuned, was the break in followed prowling and many other things that have empirical data values we can start to see a trend.

For instance, one thing that seems to have popped up is that @GRSupraPR had noticed many of the issues are with other cars in PR. The US cars that are having issues, beside @NitroYellowMKV, really are self inflicted and sometimes corrected.

I'm all about shit posting and having fun (that's what makes this community great), but if we're going to try and make a realistic determination as to where the platform has a serious problem, we need something tangible that can be used to build a case. Who knows, it could be the real world data needed to help Toyota put together a fix if it's needed. They could find that it's an issue with settings at the factory, etc. But NONE of that can really be determined if we don't have really information to back out up.

Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now.
I loved the platform and it was a great car to drive until a simple clutch malfunction and a poor service by the dealer and Toyota Puerto Rico changed my heart.

Now I own ā€œSports Carā€ parked in a dealer shop and a dealer asking me to pay for something that clearly should cover under warranty.

In my humble opinion!!!

Is not šŸ’© posting when you buy a car that is suppose to be good and turns out to be šŸ’©.

6SPDA91

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silverado, S1000R, A91-MT
I loved the platform and it was a great car to drive until a simple clutch malfunction and a poor service by the dealer and Toyota Puerto Rico changed my heart.

Now I own ā€œSports Carā€ parked in a dealer shop and a dealer asking me to pay for something that clearly should cover under warranty.

In my humble opinion!!!

Is not šŸ’© posting when you buy a car that is suppose to be good and turns out to be šŸ’©.
That makes compete sense and I'm sure that no one would argue with why you feel that way. It's a loss than ideal situation to be in and we're all hoping that you get a good resolution out of it so you're able to enjoy your car again.

EdEddEddy

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
White 2023 GRC, Blue 2023 Supra 3.0, WRB 2017 WRX
A3170EB2-24DD-4F86-AC2C-AF605E11E4AF.jpeg

I have this on my auto insurance for my 2023 MT Supra. I wonder if this would cover this issue if I came across it or perhaps cover the dealers inspection fee.

CortC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra 3.0 MT
2K+ miles and no issues, been driving a manual transmission sport cars, muscle cars, sedans, trucks, etc.; motorcycles included from just about every manufacturer since since the early 80s and never have had a problem with a clutch that was properly driven and not abused.

Toyota, BMW and ZF all had input into the design and implementation of this manual transmission and clutch assembly. I doubt very much that of all the things they could get wrong it is one of the oldest and most proven systems in a vehicle.

There is probably just two possible root causes for these issues:

1) Isolated manufacturing flaw or assembly error..
2) Driver error or abuse.

Schang105

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra, 2020 Porsche Macan
A3170EB2-24DD-4F86-AC2C-AF605E11E4AF.jpeg

I have this on my auto insurance for my 2023 MT Supra. I wonder if this would cover this issue if I came across it or perhaps cover the dealers inspection fee.
Assuming ur referring to Geico. They would want to approve the repair job first, and they may even request a claims examiner do their own inspection. Would strongly recommend holding onto that coverage.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
798D5CE5-1ECC-4EAF-ABC6-B21B3E0FB4F0.jpeg
since Phil did itā€¦..
You have the modern riding style, lower body position forward over the tank. My is old school from someone that grew up on dirt bikes. Plus I'm old as well. Compare. Me sitting more upright with the shoulder leading ready to catch it if it tries to high side me. The GSXR and the 1000ss don't have traction control but my 1198 does. I still ride it with the same style though.

Phil

PI Feb 2011 001 (2).jpg

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You have the modern riding style, lower body position forward over the tank. My is old school from someone that grew up on dirt bikes. Plus I'm old as well. Compare. Me sitting more upright with the shoulder leading ready to catch it if it tries to high side me. The GSXR and the 1000ss don't have traction control but my 1198 does. I still ride it with the same style though.

Phil

PI Feb 2011 001 (2).jpg
Beautiful @Foogazzi and lucky Phil! Both of you guys need to come over to the booring side and track your Supras, if you arenā€™t already. The best drivers tracking their Porsches, Supras, Vettes, MX5s have either a carting or bike background, for sure! Yā€˜all will take to it like a bee on honey šŸÆ.

Most of the motorcross guys Iā€™ve met broke so many bones šŸ¦“ they finally make the switch. Glad you both are still in one piece!

Foogazzi

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 3.0MT Supra

Phil

PI Feb 2011 001 (2).jpg
Never had more fun than on my 675r
Triumph made a perfect bike.

@Phil I was fortunate enough to work for a BMW, Triumph, Ducati dealership.

Above is turn 2 Jenning Gp in north florida

1198sp was always my favorite. Ruthless mid corner speed leaving tar snakes everywhere.

Favorite tracks: Roebling Road and Barber

I will be at Barber July 15th with ā€œBLUPRAā€

14B38857-0CA3-4348-A800-22C8B4284523.jpeg

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Question being, which one of you have broken the most bones? At the track we talk about broken car parts šŸ˜‚ But yā€™all are on a completely other level! I remember one guy telling me he was worried about his bike during a fall, so he made sure he place himself between the pavement and where the bike was going down. He spoke about it like it was a natural thing. Not bragging. It was just a ā€of course I put myself down to protect the bikeā€ šŸ«  @lucky phil @Foogazzi
Sponsored